Love. Eat. Style


Thursday, February 24, 2011

Work Wise

How many people love their jobs? How many people see the work they do as a career and not just a pay cheque? How many people feel valued by the company/organisation that they work for?

From what I have heard lately... not many.

So many people in their 20's, and even those in their 30's and 40's are feeling jaded and dissatisfied in the work place.

While I can't speak for the baby-boomers or generation x-ers, I can say that us 20-somethings aren't happy. There are a number of reasons for that- the most important being that we want more- more freedom, more flexibility, more benefits, more money and more power. We are ambitious, we are honest and we are driven by ethics and morality (well most of us anyway). We want to feel that what we do makes a difference and we want to feel that we are valued by the people we work with and work for.

We don't want to go to work everyday just to put the bread on the table, we want to work for something, something important, something we believe in. We want to experience passion in the workplace and we won't settle for anything less.

So what can we do?

It is all about finding a good fit ... and the fit has a lot more to do with the employer than the actual job. If you had told me this five years ago I would not have believed it. But do yourself a favour... imagine your dream job... then throw in a group of unfriendly colleagues, an ungrateful boss, no benefits, a tiny salary, few opportunities to show your talent-set... well, then, what do you have left? Still your dream job?

So how do we find this best fit? This wonderful employer and possibly our dream job? Well its a long process, but I might be able to help.

You can start by getting a very clever book. Its called (and you won't believe this) 'Best Employers'. Yes- its true- a group of very intelligent people (called the CRF institute) decided to put together a list of all the best companies to work for in South Africa (why didn't I think of that?)


Want to know which companies offer medical aid, retirement annuities, 6-months paid maternity leave, subsidised meals, on-site gym, preschool, free financial advice, a coffee bar and sessions with a beauty therapist? Want to know more about the company culture and style of some of South Africa's biggest businesses? Or just want to find out about what qualities they look for in future employees?

Then you need to get yourself this book. I did and it now has a permanent spot on my bedside table. If I read an interesting article about a local company or see a job that I am tempted to apply for... I go to my copy of Best Employers and see where they are on the list of Best Employers in South Africa.

You can get your own copy of Best Employers South Africa 2010/11 at Exclusive Books, Wordsworth or Adams and Co.

Or you can get a copy FOR FREE by taking part in a very exciting giveaway!

The lovely and friendly people at the CRF Institute have given me three copies of the Best Employers book to send to three lucky readers.

All you have to do to be entered into the draw is-
  1. become a follower of this blog (if you are already a follower you are halfway there already)
  2. leave a comment on this post (tell me about your dream job OR what is most important to you in the workplace OR why you love/hate your job)
And for an extra entry in the draw- refer a friend (ask them to use YOUR full name at the end of their comment).

Its that easy! I will do the draw at 12:00 on Sunday, 13 March. So start following, get commenting and the book could be yours!

14 comments:

  1. Thanks for the mention Tam! We hope your new followers who win the books like them half as much as you do.
    @CRFInstitute_SA

    ReplyDelete
  2. ;) First to comment!!!! Just became an official follower of your blog - I love love love your article! So now - to point 2 > My dream job: I would love to paraphrase your lovely words as they are so true: as I can say that I am honest, ambitious, willing to go the extra mile, feel passionate about helping the company grow - I would love to get back - besides the monetary value - simply showing that my input is valued, and get the feeling my boss appreciates and takes note that I AM MAKING A DIFFERENCE! - currently unfortunately this is not the case and I have been with this company close to 5 years...it makes me feels sad and unmotivated. - "not cool of you boss!"... - I loved my job as I helped it grow, I knew I was making a difference, but now, not being able to see me in the bigger picture, drowning in the hick-hack - my thoughts boggle me and I think to myself - I DO HAVE A CHOICE! - reading your article inspired me to go out and actually see if there is something out there that possible FITS BETTER?
    Let's hope I win, so that I can also read & ponder over which BEST EMPLOYER I could possibly contact to take up the opportunity of hiring an ambitious, experienced, honest, competent and young spirit.

    Thank you T for this article - yours, Nathalie DC

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great article, Miss T :)
    Hmmm, the best thing about my current job is the flexibility of my time and the potential impact my work has on the education of young people. It keeps me plodding along each day :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi ladies, loving the comments. So important for us to feel valued and to feel as though we are making a difference- a significant contribution.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Like Nathalie said, its important to feel valued and appreciated for the input one contributes in the growth of a company. It sucks to be just another cog in the clock and to be treated as replaceable. Which isn't that true, imho. Company/market specific experience and expertise is really hard to come by and takes quite some time to develop into mastery and companies shouldn't treat their human capital like commodities or better yet, livestock. A good product or service can make a company real good. But throw in a company that treats its employers like rockstars alongside a great product/service, and I reckon that will make a good company a great company!

    So, where are the rockstar employers? :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well put T. Almost got a bit emotional there. the Dream Job: thinking 'aren't I lucky I get to spend 8 hours a days doing THIS... and I get paid..' I have also found out recently that having amazing colleagues like I do, are the key! They can almost make you forget the rest of the nonsense. almost.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks so much for the comments guys. You are all so spot on! I know some of you have been experiencing problems when trying to leave a comment. Please let me know if you experience any issues, alternatively you can also send your comment to mail.eat.my.hat@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Brilliant article, T. :) Thank you so much. I think the most important thing about your job is that you are passionate about the work you do and wake up every morning excited to go to work. Its just such a pity how few people are able to experience this. Something else that is really important is the way your company shows their appreciation for the work you do. So many companies don't value their staff and take the work that they do for granted. This can make a huge difference to employees' motivation and really makes a difference to the whole culture of the company/organisation. It amazes me how the work environment and colleagues can make such a huge difference to the way you feel about your job. Great colleagues are such a blessing! Thank goodness for them. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great article T! I would like to think that my recent forway into a career change has inspired this post (haha). Good post, great inspiration to all of us to make each day count, rather than just "survive" until the weekend xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Passionate about the work you do, feeling safe and comfortable in the work place. Feeling like you are appreciated, the right income always helps. Benefits, and feeling like you have a voice and opinions that matter. Perhaps having them all in one place is a pipe dream but it's worth trying to find it. What's the point in staying in one place where you will never be happy and there is no growth, when you could be out there finding your meaning and place in life.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very interesting article, we do want more from our employers, but unfortunately all they care about the bottom line.People are replaceable :(

    ReplyDelete
  12. My very first Blog I follow through this Google thing!!
    My dream job is to own a Martini Bar either on the beach or on a mountain somewhere... Until then, I agree with the part about having a good fit... My job's pretty boring but the people are great! Which makes a massive difference!
    Enjoyed the article (and then proceeded to read the entire blog). :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love your article,Tam.I just signed up to be a follower with our yahoo account.

    I love that you are pointing young people in the right direction by showing them the book that will lead the way in South Africa.

    I love that you have discovered the book that shows you it is possibly to find a company that will value you and that gives you the opportunity to do your part to contribute significantly.

    I love that you believe in that dream because that is how dreams will manifest themselves into your life.

    I love that you started this blog creating an atmosphere of love, warmth,coziness and empowerment.

    I love you being so fully engaged and already to have found someone that wants to give you a gift to giveaway. Wow! Hat off to you. You go girl!

    I believe in you and the contribution you will be making with this blog and your beautiful spirit that shines through every article.

    My dream,as an entrepreneur,is to one day be creating one such company, as mentioned in the book, that will value team effort, by empowerment and inspiration to create miracles together. One company that willoffer the environment to strive in as a team,as one big company family!

    I would love it to be in South Africa! Would absolutely love, love that!!!

    I love you. Tam!
    Nadia
    www.happyholisticlife.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. Dear Eat My Hat followers,

    Thank-you for taking the time to not only follow, but comment above.

    If you have a moment, please pop your comment here www.facebook.com/CRFInstitute so that we can direct Best Employers there.

    All the best daily building your career - "you are now becoming who you will someday be" Jim McEachern

    Enthusiastically,
    The CRF Team

    ReplyDelete