Love. Eat. Style


Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Sew Gorgeous!

This might make me sound nerdy... but I have to confess- I am obsessed with embroidery- the sweet embroidery rings, the colourful threads and the fantastic little stitches that can turn thread, beads and fabric into an artistic masterpiece!

I recently discovered that a group of fantastic ladies meet once a week to sew, chat and obsess over pretty stitches. They make pillow covers, quilts and other fabulous things... I think I might have to join them. I know this might make me sound like I have come straight out of the 1800's... but it is really fascinating to see what can be done (by hand - no machines required!). 

Ok- you guys decide for yourselves- is it silly and outdated or retro and cool?


How lovely are these embroidered cakes (As seen on Oh Happy Day)

I think the French knots (yellow dots at the bottom of the cake and collection of red, grey and yellow dots on the top of the cake) are super cute. They are also really easy to do- check this tutorial out (below) if you would like to try them yourself.




If cross-stitch is more your thing- then you will LOVE this. And who doesn't love bunting? These cross-stitch kits come with embroidery cloth, hoop, thread, needle and pattern. So fun!

Slipcover Your Life wants you to keep calm and carry on!


Embroidery hoops are also great for displaying pretty fabrics or as wall hangings.

 What a pretty fabric (source)


Bunting <3 (source)


So sweet (source)


We recently found this table cloth which was hand-stitched by my grandmother about 60 years ago... it still amazes me that this was done completely by hand... it is so incredibly neat and the colours are bold and bright. Beautiful!






Ok- so have I convinced you? Is sewing even a little bit cool? Or am I just a big, boring nerd? What do you think?


Have a lovely week!


~ T xx

1 comment: